Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Riverdale

Just like many others, I was one that grew up reading the beloved Archie comics. The characterization, the humour and the sketches all stood out for me. Not to mention, it never failed to make me feel better on a bad day. So, you can imagine my sheer excitement on hearing that the comics were going to made as a TV series on CW network. But alas, the elation only lasted till I watched the trailer. 

To be honest, I had mixed feelings about it and even after watching the episodes till date, I still do. I am thoroughly disappointed that the series isn't an exact replication of the comics themselves, seeing as it was one of my all time favourites. Rather, it has been given a CW treatment of drama, scandal, and intrigue and I have yet to be a 100% on board with it. 



The changes in the characters are not subtle from the original. Not only is Archie a hunky football jock, but he and Jughead (who is rather intellectual on here, rather than being his comedic self) don't appear to be best friends and Veronica is new in town and to the Riverdale gang. As a hardcore fan of the comics, I couldn't find myself loving these alterations. 

At the same time, another part of me is quite interested with the shapings of these characters. Similar to how the Once Upon A Time series display traditional and happy fairytale characters in a darker light, the Riverdale gang are now part of a world taken over by a murder mystery and secrets. It is a usual CW formula and for now, my genuine curiousity makes me want to give it a shot. 

I would like to conclude by saying that, for those of you who are open to seeing your Riverdale friends in a different light, I would definitely recommend this. I only hope that it does not turn out to be another Pretty Little Liars flop, with the drama and plot twists getting too outrageous.   

Happy binge-watching! 

No comments:

Post a Comment