Monday, November 28, 2016

Class

If you are a hardcore Whovian, you have most likely either heard of Class or watched the episodes. But for those of you who are not familiar with the series, the basic rundown is it's a Doctor Who spinoff with primary attention on six high school students and their encounters with new alien threats. 

If I had to say how I feel about it in a sentence, I'd say that it is most certainly interesting. While it is related to Doctor Who in terms of the concept, the entire feel of it is completely different and refreshing. Admittedly, it took me a while to get used to the setting of alien attacks without the Doctor's presence. However, by the time the second episode rolled out, I was hooked. 

The series seems to portray not just intriguing character dynamics, but weird and other-worldly features as well, similar to that of its parent show. It is evident that the unique point of Class is the adolescent driven energy, which has a spin of its own in the fact that one of the students in the group is an alien prince. 



While I do watch the show with immense enjoyment, it appears to me that it still needs to find a footing with the audience. The plot for certain episodes was as though it was taken right from a fanfic and just seemed to be all over the place. There is also quite a bit of room for individual character development, which I expect will be smoothened and polished as the show progresses. Class can't be an exact replica of Doctor Who, nor can it stray too much from the source material and therein lies the challenge. 

I may not be completely enamoured by it in the same way that I am taken by the Doctor and his companions' antics, but it is certainly worth giving a shot. As of now, 7 episodes have aired and are available for online viewing. 

Happy binge-watching! 

No comments:

Post a Comment